|Not Yo' Mama's Taco Salad|
Not Yo' Mama's Taco Salad
Ingredients for salad:
1Tbsp canola oil
4 boneless skinless chicken breast halves
1 tsp garlic salt
1 head of romaine lettuce torn or cut into bite sized pieces
4 roma tomatoes diced
1 small onion diced
1/4 cup cilantro chopped
2 jalapenos diced (wear gloves or be real careful not to touch the seeds and membranes.)
1 bunch green onions chopped
1 can black beans drained and rinsed
3 corn on cob (you can use frozen corn too, but not as good)
8 oz. reduced fat monterey jack cheese
Baked tortilla chips
Ingredients for salad dressing:
1/4 cup vinegar
3 Tbsp honey
1 1/2 tsp cumin
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
1. Make Pico de Gallo by combining the tomatoes, onion, cilantro and jalapeno. Salt and pepper to taste.
2. Cook corn on the cob by placing shucked and washed corn cobs in boiling water for 2-3 minutes. Remove. When cool enough to handle, use a knife to cut corn from the cobs.
3. While waiting for the water to boil for the corn, drain and rinse beans and cut up chicken into thin bite size pieces.
4. Heat oil in a skillet. Add chicken and coat. Sprinkle the garlic salt over the chicken. Cook until no longer pink, turning as necessary.
5. While chicken is cooking, tear or cut the lettuce in bite size pieces then chop the green onions. Toss together in a salad bowl.
6. Make salad dressing by whisking the vinegar, honey, cumin, salt, and pepper together in a small bowl.
7. Shred cheese.
8. Make guacamole by mashing up the avocado and adding pico de gallo to taste. Add a little salt and pepper.
I put the chips, lettuce/green onions, pico de gallo, chicken, beans, corn, cheese, guacamole, and dressing in separate bowls along the counter and let people build their own salads.
|I like the corn cut off in chunks. Here I used preshredded Mexican cheese because that's what I had, but shredded Monterey Jack tastes better.|